Friday, September 11, 2009

Be the "Boss"

I look around me and see almost too many opportunities to be of some service to others. Unfortunately, that can, and often does with me, lead to perpetual learning about the opportunities and how they work, their processes and problems. Perpetual learning is a good thing but not when it stops a person from performing, doing what needs to be done.

I have often thought of late that what this country really needs is more entrepreneurial spirit. "Go get a job" is vital thinking and "Go do the work" is also vital thinking. The change I am referring to, however, is the change from having a boss telling the laborer what the work is that needs to be done to being the boss who is discovering, deciding and directing the work to be done.

Who is really more vital to our economy? I believe it is the person who can determine what needs of the people are and direct their fulfillment. That person is more vital because s/he is a visionary, a thinker, a problem solver, a creator who hopefully can direct others. That, in my belief, is who every society needs in order to be stable, productive and growing.

No comments: